[FSPA] TourneyGuru signups

Joe Schober afljoeys at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 00:12:30 EDT 2017

Rob W-C wrote...

> That reminds me... Joe, how did authentication help with unauthorized usage last year? I expect that with other tools out there people won’t be as eager to try to use it (though as has been pointed out, TourneyGuru is superior ^_^ ).

Don't know.  Since we didn't have authentication before last year, I can't say how often people were sharing the secret URL (which was the only "protection" in the past) with non-FSPA'ers.  (I can say that when a user posted the URL to our mailing list a couple years back, the page hits spiked significantly afterward.)  I personally agree that TourneyGuru is generally superior to other options out there, but I encourage everyone to use any/all resources to kick as much ass as possible in the tournament.  :)

Authentication is somewhat more significant this year, since users can now submit machine-specific comments that are tagged with their name.  The same policy is in force as last year, guarding against logins on multiple devices (technically: multiple browsers) using the same user account, to minimize any casual password sharing.  I've tried to implement it so it's totally invisible to people who use the system as intended, while blocking folks who try to share their login.

--Joe