[FSPA] Arcade fun: Ocean City, MD and Rehoboth Beach, DE

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Mon Jun 5 16:27:03 EDT 2017

> The game you're talking about is Final Furlong.  Final Furlough is the
> game where you get sent home and don't get paid.

Haha, ohh yea!

> Final Furlong should definitely be at Magfest.  Not only is it fun to
> watch others look like they are doing not so nice things with a horse,
> but a game on there is one hell of a workout!

Indeed! I played it once in a mall. Virginia Beach, Alladin's Castle. It
made so much noise, I think the entire food court went silent as their
stares burned into my soul. And I still lost!

> There is a related game called Rapid River which is the same idea, but
> you're in a raft and have to actively paddle.

We (MAGFest) own a rapid river! It was donated by a local op and we have
gone through quite a bit to refurb it. Down to someone rebuilding the
rewelding broken areas of the internal paddle holder from it wearing down
in the prior owner's hands. It's LCD'ed and before MF 2017 we picked up a
quiet air compressor so that it could service more boaters.

We got a similar game called Rail Chase that is also air compressor driven
but gave it to the owner of Save Point in Westminister and it hasn't made
it back to event yet (it's really heavy.)

> Personally, I would love a Derby Owners Club with the full 12 slots at
> Magfest.  I probably would never leave if I got to play that for hours
> on end.

I've heard this one mentioned as being a recent Dave and Busters system
but don't know much about it. Hmmm intarnet says it's Naomi (achievable)
or Lindbergh (older of the newer PC based Sega stuff AFAIK.)

.... Noted!

The games at MAGFest are large and wide brought by collectors, the org
itself doesn't own that many because of storage logistics and resources
for repairing stuff but random stuff just falls into your hands sometimes.
I had never heard of Rapid River until one had been donated to make room
in an operator's warehouse.

People were sad about the lack of some other game and I hunted down the
last known location of it in the USA... something called Samba De Amigo
but the cabinet that was known to exist was trashed after it was damaged.
After asking about it (possibly on Reddit) someone even had a youtube
video of a fight over a fighting game (meta?) where someone fell into the
Samba De Amiga cabinet which apparently damaged the rear proejction
screen.

Can't find the other arcade where you stick the finger in the butt either
(Boong-Ga Boong-Ga.) Friend said he asked overseas and the butts
normally fell apart after being on location after a few years. There is
a video on youtube I believe of one in the USA but no idea where.

So uh, if anyone runs across any of this stuff out there, I know of a
home!

(Sneak Peak MAGFest 2018 - Get your Gamecube F-Zero GX
memory cards ready.)

> Joe K

Ethan O'Toole