[FSPA] Anyone have spare cherry micro-micro-switch arm, Mighty Mikes?

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Sun Jun 25 22:45:12 EDT 2017

TL;DR bro: There are bigger microswitches that are common for lane roll
overs and stuff, then there are these much smaller ones. I am looking for
the metal arm that goes on one of the really tiny ones. A
micro-micro-switch. The arm is the flat metal type that holds onto plastic
bump outs on each side. Apparently they're called Sub-microswitches:
http://www.pinballlife.com/images/products/pbl_5647-12693-21.jpg

Story:

So I decided to tackle the broken Star Trek Left Gun launcher. Years ago I
cleaned them both, re-greased them, and they were happy. Back then one of
the plastic drive arms broke once the grease solidified -- and it was a
laughably simple fix. Panic at first, as the gearboxes are expensive but
once the playfield is lifted you see the plastic arm gives way. Sweet.

It's been a long time since that repair, and after MAGFest I powered the
game back on, and it broke another arm. My re-grease had solidified.
Ordered the part, remembering it was a simple fix. But this time, it was
STTNG's revenge time.

The inner part of the arm broke, and I had ordered that part. Simple
observation, and got some other needed odds and ends with the order. Going
to swap the arm out, I notice that I was then required to remove the
entire assembly. Did so, not too big of a deal, but getting the cotter pin
out was a huge pain! I didn't want to beat on it too hard, didn't want to
cause a gear tooth to break or something inside of the gearbox. It was
just a total pain. Using a punch I was able to finally get it out but it
took a really really long time and a lot of sweat and patience.

During that time I apparently lost the arm on one of the two
microswitches. It must of hit the floor, or fell somewhere but for the
life of me I can't find it. I looked all over the garage and all over the
room with the games in it. The problem is, the garage is kind of a mess
and there are lots of places for it to hide. And I worked on the part all
over the garage. The outcome is the garage is much cleaner, I swept all
over but the rule is I won't find the part until after I've sourced a new
part.

So I'm on the hunt for one of these microswitch arms. I bought some more
of the microswitches as they're used in the shifter of Daytona USA -- I
found those spares but they don't have arms on them. Derp.

The OTHER microswitch was already broken. But someone had taped a bigger
thing onto it so that it would work. 20+ years ago. Crazy, but the tape is
still sticky so if it ain't broke....

--
Ethan O'Toole