[FSPA] FSPA: Volleyball House Results for 11/28/2018 (Meet #9)

Joe Schober afljoeys at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 03:39:41 EST 2018

Mark Whipple wrote...

> Thanks for posting the results so fast. I do have one question. How come my division average ladder number is still the same at 18.33 when I just competed with two Division B opponents with a 11.33 and 13.83 average and did pretty well?

Division Average Ladder ("Div Avg Ladder") is used to determine what division you're in.  It is the arithmetic average of your "ladder position", omitting the first two and last two weeks of the season.  To assign players to divisions, we sort everyone by Div Avg Ladder and chop the sorted list into evenly-sized divisions, aiming for 7-10 players per division.  (The rules have the exact details of the process, but this is the general idea.)

"Ladder position" is pretty easy to understand: the top person in group 1 is ladder position 1, the next person down is position #2, and so on down to the last person in the last group, which this season at VBH would be ladder position #24 (since there are 24 players).  We omit the first two weeks from the Div Avg Ladder calculation in case anyone was seeded too high or too low, the normal group movements will get them close to their "correct" placement before we start doing the math.  We omit the last two weeks from Div Avg Ladder -- or another way to think about it, we lock it in with two weeks to go -- so that people aren't switching divisions at the last second before the playoffs... you have two weeks to see who your final division-mates are, and get an idea of how many points you'll need to get on the top side of that red "qualify" line to make the playoffs.  (You, Mark, are in no danger: you've clinched a playoff spot, and nearly clinched the #1 seed.  Get at least 4 points next week to definitely lock in the #1 seed.)

So in short, your Div Avg Ladder will no longer change this season, but keep earning those points going into the final week!

--Joe