[FSPA] MOM’s Organic Pinball Summer playoff results!

Rob Wintler-Cox rwintlercox at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 10:29:46 EDT 2019

We had our playoffs on August 19th, and boy did we play off! Special thanks
to celebrity spokesmodel Gregg Giblin for help scorekeeping and dispensing
game coinage.

A Division
#1 Steve Jonke - 14 pts
#2 Tim Peterson - 11 pts
#3 Rob Wintler-Cox - 9 pts
#4 Barry Schwartz - 6 pts
Tim started us off on Metallica and eluded the Curse of the Game Pick with
a nothing-but-net four pointer, with Jonke taking a surprising 0 by 112K
(1%). Fueled by his stinging defeat, Jonke turned around and won his match
on that game against Barry. Meanwhile, Tim and Rob played the most
lackluster game of Argosy ever, both barely cracking 200K but Tim bringing
the shipment of Medieval goods home by just 14K. Then it was four point
smackdown time: Jonke welcomed Rob to Earth the Will Smith way on
Independence Day and sank Tim’s ship on JJPirates of the Caribbean, Barry
grounded Tim’s Concorde with a massive Supersonic game, and Rob went there
AND back again against Barry on Hobbit. Going into the final game on Dialed
In!, Jonke had it almost in the bag except for one tiny edge case which he
successfully avoided by not getting a 0. Rob’s hopes of a 1st or 2nd place
finish were dashed by Tim’s monster score — more than all the other
players’ scores combined! We finished in predictably boring seed order.

B Division
#1 Ron Denton - 14 pts
#2 John Locke - 10 pts
#3 Rich Achterberg - 8 pts (HtH winner)
#4 Mac McCubbin II - 8 pts
B started off on Argosy with a fairly typical game of Argosy. In the first
head to head round John beat Rich on Supersonic by 330 points (0.5%, making
a mockery of A Division’s 1% heartbreaker). Ron cruised through all the
head to head matches, and was mathematically assured victory before the
final round on Taxi, but the other guys and their 7-7-6 scores meant that
game’s outcome was the determining factor. John carried more passengers for
the win and 2nd place, and though Mac put up a solid third place score,
Rich’s earlier HtH victory on The Hobbit gave him 3rd place.

C Division
#1 Kevin Walton - 14 pts
#2 Joe Brewer - 13 pts
#3 Dave Roth - 8 pts
#4 Steve Estes - 5 pts
Stalwart qualifier Kevin faced off against playoff newcomers Joe, Steve,
and Dave —  with Dave sneaking in thanks to #1 seed Audrey taking a
leisurely cruise with her doctor. They started with a convivial game of
Dialed In!, and followed with a HtH of Joe and Dave getting almost exactly
the same scores on that selfsame game (50,140/50,290 and 42,940/43,160). If
we were playing darts, I would complement their grouping. Then the kid
gloves came off, with back-to-back 4 pointers on Pirates (Kevin vs Steve),
Hobbit (Dave vs Steve), Argosy — the game NOBODY steals a point on — (Joe
vs Kevin), and AC/DC (Kevin vs Dave). So it was Joe with 12 and Kevin with
11 slugging it out on Hobbit… and Kevin took the win! Always a bridesmaid
but never a bride, Kevin finally got to walk down the aisle with C Division
glory.

YOU can be part of that excitement! The New Fall Season is starting in just
three short weeks on September 9th! Clear your Monday evening schedules
now! Our theme will be… wait for it… The New Fall Season, so expect a lot
of long-playing TV-themed games in the mix. Watch the skies for signup
announcements.

Be there! Aloha.