[FSPA] Ocelot league playoffs details

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 19:50:59 EST 2019

Thank you to everyone who came out for the Inaugural season of the FSPA league at Ocelot Brewing company!  We hope you enjoyed the 10 weeks of play.  Results submitted to the IFPA for WPRR rankings will be based on your final division rankings after week 10 stacked by division.  So A 1-8, followed by B as 9-15, C as 15-22.
Next is the exciting phase of the playoffs.  We have set this season to be a 'cash prize' league.  Meaning, we are paying all monies from dues and the kitty, less expenses, back to the players as prizes.  We wanted to keep the amounts reasonably exciting for all divisions and placings, so we will be using a 40/30/30 split of the prize pool to A/B/C respectively, and paying out top three finishers in each division.  This resulting payouts are as follows:
A Div:1st - $1202nd - $903rd - $50
B and C Div:1st - $902nd - $703rd - $40
Playoff details:Playoffs will be Dec 2.  This Monday! Tomorrow!
On Dec 2, All playoff qualifiers must be present and ready by 7:15!  Anyone not present at 7:15 will lose their seeding and game picks!  If you are not present at the start of play at 7:30 (and not exercised your 15min request), you will lose your spot and the next highest available qualifier will take your spot.  If you know you will not be present, please let us know ahead of time so other players can adjust.  People who did not qualify are more than welcome to come to follow the action, enjoy Ocelot, etc.  We encourage those right below the qualifying line to be there in case someone doesn't show... it does happen from time to time.  Trivia fact.. I have won A div in the past by sneaking in due to a no-show!
How it works:Full rules are described at:http://fspazone.org/complete-rules/#Playoffs . We are using a 4 player playoff - single match setup.
Each division has 4 qualifying players - you are competing only against your division!  The competition format is different from weekly play, but we observe the same rules when it comes to scoring, malfunctions, etc.
You will play a 4 player group game, followed by head-to-head round robin rounds against each of the other qualifiers (3 rounds), followed by a final 4 player group game.  All your competition games will be paid for by the league treasury.  Scoring is your usual FSPA game scoring.  Finishing spots are based on your cumulated match points for the night.  First Tie-breaker is the head to head round robin match.
For the first 4 player game, Seed #2 has game pick and first pick of play order.In the head to head rounds, high seed has game pick and pick of play order.For the final 4 player game, Seed #1 has game pick and first pick of play order.
So the matchups looks like this (first listed has game pick and first pick of order)Round1: 2-1-3-4Round2: 1-4 and 2-3Round3: 1-3 and 2-4Round4: 1-2 and 3-4Round5: 1-2-3-4

So, seeds 1, 2 and 3 have important game pick duties!  All game picks will be setup starting at 7:15.  There are limits on your picks!  Study your picks wisely!  The week 10 results actually have special filtered results for you based on expected qualifiers - check it out by clicking the links under each division - http://fspa.league.papa.org/meetResults?leagueId=16&latest=true
Game picks will start with the top seed in the division, and they pick their 4 game picks.  Then seed 2 picks their 3 games, etc.  Your picks are limited by the earlier picks.  <snipet from the full rules is below with examples relevant to us>

   - Players must select different machines for each game in a match. (IE: you can only use a game selection once..)
   - A player may not select a machine already chosen for the same round by a higher seeded player in the same division (IE: if a higher seed picked a game in the first h2h round.. you can't pick the same game for your match in that round)
   - A player may not select a machine he is already scheduled to play twice in a match due to picks by higher seeded players. (Seed #3's picks can be limited by what the #1 and #2 picked against them)
You'll note as #4 is never the higher seed.. seed #4 doesn't get any picks.  So sit back and enjoy the ride :)
We encourage players to study what they want their game picks ahead of time.. and please be patient during the process.  It takes a good bit of coordination and setup by us officers.
So congrats to the qualifiers and see everyone on Dec 2!  Again, if you qualified and know you will not be present, please let us know as soon as you know.  Thanks!
-Steve & Matt