[FSPA] VBH CLOSED

Van Doren, Lee Lee.VanDoren at capco.com
Wed Jun 19 17:18:49 EDT 2019

Thanks Joe!

A little more history...  When FSPA lost it's founding location, Howie's in College Park, it was looking for a new home.  My wife at the time was playing volleyball at The (original) Volleyball House in Columbia.  She became friends with Paul and Judy and I noticed they had a pretty lame video-game only arcade corner.  I suggested to Paul and Judy that I could bring in a pinball machine or two if they didn't mind but it might irk the current operator.  They said they didn't care.  Oh, I also mentioned we had an orphaned pinball league...  "league, did you say?"  said Paul and Judy 😉.  [Trivia: first machine was my home game, Frankenstein]

It didn't take long before they booted the video game operator and I got some extra pins in so that we could get "the" league in there.  The video games were evicted and I put a token Neo Geo in their place 😊.

The league prospered but then VBH needed to move as they lost their lease in Columbia.  Once again we were homeless for a little while.  I found a bar just over the border in AA county where we all mustered together to move the pins to an UPSTAIRS lounge area.  That is where I discovered the heinous AA pinball regulations.  I elected to go incognito and not pay the fees.  I did lobby to AA about it but little did they care.

The pins' revenue performance there was poor so we were soon evicted and homeless again.  Eventually VBH completed its buildout in the Elkridge location and we were reborn and grew bigger and better with more space.  I left the MD area and turned over operation to, well... the rest is more recent history 😉.

I am so happy to hear much enjoyment was had by all.  I miss those so so hot summer nights there.  Especially spending hours with Scott fixing up the machines... well, maybe more time spent by Scott.

Carry on, flippers!!
Lee (Van Doren)