[FSPA] VBH CLOSED

Joe Kosack kosacks at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 09:23:36 EDT 2019

Let me take a moment and fully set forth the situation to all of you who haven't been following this closely.

Years ago, the owners of VBH were looking to make an arrangement with Howard County in order to make it a Parks and Rec facility.  However, the deal fell through based on some clauses that HC tried to put in the agreement that would have made it easy for them to pull out in a year and take the info on all of the players with them.  After this deal fell through, the owners were approached by a developer to buy the land in order to build apartments.  They agreed to a deal.

Now this deal took a while to close as the developer had a continuous problem of having the cash on hand to close.  Unfortunately, Judy (the operating owner) found out about this after a deal was signed.  Therefore, we had actually been in limbo for a couple of years while waiting for the deal to close.

The deal closed on Tuesday of this week.  Therefore, the current form of VBH will close on June 10.

However, there is a new location in the works that is envisioned to open up in November.  The website for the new location is here:  https://www.vbhouse2.com/  This will be a sports dome with some hard construction areas for bathrooms, snack bar, and potentially a pinball area.

There is unfortunately one giant problem where in concerns us and VBH, the new location is in Severn, MD, which is in Anne Arundel County.  As I'm sure Mike Frasca can tell those of you not familiar with AAC licensing requirements, they are insanely expensive.  To operate pinball machines, it would cost us and VBH $2000 for the right to have them, and a $100 per machine.  These fees are paid every year.  Also, you are limited to 8 coin operated devices this way.  If you want more than 8, then you need to buy an arcade license, which runs $5000 per year.

I am in the process of drafting a letter to my council rep to see if there can be some movement into changing the licensing laws for pinball machines (and all other coin operated machines would be nice too!)  The new owners of the VBH business are already receptive to us joining them at the new location, and Judy (now as an investor and not as an operator) was even talking about how our space could be set up at the new location.

That's all of the information that I have at the moment.  This email is only intended for the email list, and I would appreciate it if it would currently not be forwarded to another forum such as Pinside or Tilt Forums.

Joe K.
Vbh2<https://www.vbhouse2.com/>
The Dome is a 55,000 sq ft climate controlled, air supported fabric dome which will feature 10 fixed volleyball courts with new shock absorbent, joint friendly flooring, elevated mezzanine seating for viewing of the action below, with sport related retail and concessions for year round volleyball fun, training and competition.
www.vbhouse2.com