[FSPA] Could this (eventually) affect pinball?

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Fri Feb 7 12:41:18 EST 2020

>> They are labeling the game as "game of skill" but seem to be targeting
>> games that have a pay out though it's not clear how the wording is.
>> Seems to me if the wording isn't done correctly this could create the
>> same hassles that Roger Sharpe overcame in the 70s..... -- Sent from my
>> Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

This is a fight that happened a bunch down in NC. Games are made that
don't technically qualify as gambling supposedly then the state changes
the laws to kill the games. Then the games modify the software to comply
with the law, over and over.

When the games are running they're highly profitable and the operators
often times will invest in more pinball machines. This is most likely the
case in the DC area.

the Queen machines have some other bend to them where only like two
companies are allowed to operate them by law, so it's a hugely profitable
thing for a few route operators. Vendor lock in by using the law similar
to Taxi companies (pre-Uber), nails, Limo companies, etc.

 			- Ethan