[FSPA] Preplays are better

Elliott Keith ekeith123 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:15:42 EDT 2021

Even though I had to drop out of MOM's league this season due to personal
stuff, I felt the need to chime in with a 'simple' solution.

Pretty much every other league I've played in besides FSPA had a drop 2
format, with no headache. The difference with FSPA seems to be that you
guys try to 'pre-make' your groups of 3, which obviously causes scrambling
when people don't show. The 'drop 2' and 'pre-made groups' just don't seem
compatible to me. Most all other leagues randomly dole out groups at the
start of the night, and Crabtowne's league had a 'division split' halfway
through so you'd play with people somewhat around your skill level.

My solution idea is that instead of trying to 'pre-make' groups, why not
just keep track of ladder position? Like, after confirming who's not there,
the top three present are group 1, next three group 2, etc. all the way
down, with the last group being a 4 or 2 if necessary. Keeps the similar
skill level thing going, and seems pretty easy to implement, since you guys
keep track of that anyway.

Just my two cents. Hope to be back in a league next season, and happy 4th!

-Elliott