[FSPA] Announcing the Experimental League!

Dave Hubbard dave.hubbard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:15:11 EDT 2022

In between the Spring 2022 and Summer 2022 seasons at MOMs, we're going to
try an experiment.  Starting April 27th (the week after MOMs playoffs) and
ending May 25th (the week before Summer Week 0), I'm running a 5-week
"league" using a completely different scoring and grouping system that will
be unlike anything the FSPA has tried before.  This is set up as a
completely new association (thanks Joe!) with its own ruleset, badges, etc.
so there is no pollution of proper FSPA leagues for stats or anything like
that.

First, the important details:

   - *ALL ARE WELCOME!*
   - League will happen on Wednesday's at 7:30pm (ish, see below) so it's
   the normal Wednesday MOMs slot.  If you've been coming to MOMs league, keep
   coming!  If you're bored between FSPA seasons, try this!
   - No dues, no finals, no prizes, no WPPRs, etc.  We're doing this purely
   for fun and to try something different.
   - Participation in this does not earn you a machine giveaway draw, does
   not earn you end-of-season party credit, etc.  It's not a real FSPA league.

Now, the format:

   - We'll be running a modified version of the Tri-City Pinball League,
   which you can see here: http://tcpl.league.papa.org
   - Players will play 6 machines each league night, under normal FSPA play
   rules.  I'm probably going to "randomly" pick 4 moderns and 2 classics for
   each night.
   - All players play all 6 machines.
   - Once all scores are submitted, all scores for a given machine will be
   ranked from top to bottom.  Highest score on a given night gets 10 league
   points, lowest score gets 1 league point.  Failure to post a score on a
   machine gets you zero.  Everyone else gets an evenly-distributed percentage
   between 1 and 10 depending on how many scores are posted.  Yes, there will
   be fractional points.  So the max you can get for one night is 60, and the
   lowest is 6, provided you play all the machines.
   - If we have machine malfunctions or other problems like that, I'll just
   make a command decision (remember this is an experiment).
   - That's it.  Whoever has the most points after week 5 is the winner.

I chose this format because it looks interesting, it's different, and I
think it solves some of the gripes I've heard:

   - No groups - no one is stuck in the bottom group(s).  You are free to
   play your 6 games with anyone you want, it can be the same group of people
   for all 6 games, or you can mix it up and be social.  Your choice!
   - No lateness, no "15 minutes" - as long as you get your games in at
   some point (within reason) they will count.  If I show up to MOMs before
   7:30 you can get started early.  If you don't show up until 8:00, that's
   probably fine also.  If you don't show up until 10pm then I'm probably gone
   and you're out of luck though.
   - No drop-2, no preplays, no league drops - play as little or as much as
   you want.  No one will be booted from the league if they don't play enough,
   they just won't score any points.  No IFPA concerns here since we're not
   submitting this.
   - No divisions - we're all competing against one another.  Moving up
   ladder positions has additional meaning now; it's a direct measure of your
   progress.
   - No being stuck behind group 1 all night - play the games in whatever
   order you want.
   - All your scores count, no walk-offs - since all scores are ranked at
   the end of the night, you won't be "safe" ever.  Play your games out and
   score as high as you can.  Similarly, no more losing with a great score
   because everyone blew up a machine, and no more cheap wins because everyone
   sucked and you just sucked a little less.

Sound interesting?  Just show up at MOMs on April 27th at 7:30pm and we'll
see how it goes!  Feel free to spread the word.

    --- Dave

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>