[FSPA] Experimental High Score League Results for 04/27/2022 (Meet #1)

Steve Jones 172pilot at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:13:29 EDT 2022

I misunderstood when I first read it and thought it was going to work that
way.. I guess there's pros and cons to both ways.
As a geek, I had to take our scores and recalculate them to see if it would
have made a difference in standings.  Turns out there is a slight
difference in order but it's mostly the same:
I'm not pushing for any change.. just doing the calculations.  I'm just in
it for the fun!
This way, one amazingly good or bad game could offset the total points
more.  Note - I didn't do the scaling for 4 games vs 6 - I counted all
games since all I was interested in was the potential change in the
ordering.

[image: image.png]

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 3:45 PM Joe P. Said via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
wrote:

> For reference there was a system created by another Dave, called Arcade or
> something like that. Kevin Stone will remember as it was used in a Magfest
> tournament.
>
> It gave a % number of the top score as your score. So if someone got 1
> trillion on Godzilla and the second score was 1B they would only get 0.1
> points and the top score would get 100. Similarly if someone got 1T and the
> second guy got 999B the second place would get 99.9.
>
> Just food for thought. I like whatever you're doing.
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 5:38 PM Dave Hubbarvia FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok!  Now that week 1 is in the books, so to speak, I'll explain the
>> scoring system a bit more.
>>
>> We had 11 players come out for week 1.  So for each game, top score gets
>> 10 points, bottom score gets 1 point, and everyone else gets a
>> flatly-distributed amount of points depending on how many people played
>> that week.  In this case, that differential is (roughly, there's rounding
>> involved) 0.9 points.  So 2nd place gets 9.1, third place gets 8.2, etc.
>> This will change week to week depending on how many people play.
>>
>> For the weekly totals, it's all the individual scores, times 4, then
>> divided by the number of machines actually played.  In this case we got
>> through all 6 without malfunctions, so the weekly factor is 4/6.  If say,
>> Hot Tip blew up mid-session, we'd just drop it and use the other machines
>> with a factor of 4/5.  This allows us to just get rid of machines that
>> malfunction without having to worry about rounding up everyone again to
>> play a replacement.
>>
>> No, I don't know why the machine scores aren't sorted.
>>
>> Everyone come out for week 2!
>>
>>         --- Dave
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 5:31 PM Dave Hubbard via League Manager via FSPA <
>> fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Meet Results - Experimental High Score League Summer 2022
> [...]
>>> 23,242,350 1
>>> 155,712,720 9.1
>>> 37,745,440 3.7
>>> 75,874,020 7.3