[FSPA] MOM's Final Finals Results

Rob Wintler-Cox rwintlercox at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:32:10 EST 2023

On December 13th we all got together at MOM's one last time to finish up
the season. There was excitement, there were cookies (courtesy of Audrey),
but not so many upsets - considering that the top seed won the coveted (and
probably final) mini pinball machine in every group.

A Division
#1 - Dave Hubbard - 15pts
#2 - Eric Steinberg - 9 pts
#3 - Rick Elgendy - 8 pts (hth)
#4 - Joe Kosack - 8 pts
The shocks were fairly minimal in A as Dave swept all the games except for
the final all-in that he picked. Everyone else played consistently but the
ol' widowmaker made some widows that night. Bottom seed Eric won his
Hubb-free head to heads, and came in last skillfully enough to not have his
points stolen, which gave him the points he needed for second. When they
got to Addams Family there was a chance for Rick to take second, but Joe
decided it was spoilin' time and toured the mansion, tripling everyone
else's scores combined, despite doing the Mamushka while the mode was
running and being heckled good-naturedly by this season's permanent guest
player Karli.

B Division
#1 - Benjamin McMurtry - 12 pts
#2 - John Locke - 11 pts
#3 - Kevin Walton - 9 pts
#4 - Michael Tyler - 8 pts
Talk about no upsets, these guys finished in seed order, with first time
FSPA player Benjamin bringing home the B bacon. Kevin tried valiantly to
win the trophy that he himself created, but to no avail. As evidenced by
the close scores, everyone won some and lost some, and the outcome was
determined largely by who stole points from whom.

C Division
#1 - Zach Jones - 16 pts
#2 - Christine Rueter - 11 pts
#3 - David Smitley - 8 pts
#4 - Jimmy Barcus - 5 pts
Zach, on the other hand, saw what Dave was doing and said, "I want some of
that!" With the exception of a point steal on BKSOR against David, Zach's
and David's scoring was round for round identical, including coming in
second on the final game (Creature in this case). Christine used the
Steinberg method of winning her HTHs and keeping her points during losses,
as opposed to David who got hurt by two zeros which even a crushing score
on Creature at the end couldn't fix. Jimmy had a tough night, but to his
credit he scored a point in every round.

D Division
#1 - Steve Estes - 16 pts
#2 - Fred Reed - 12 pts
#3 - Courtney Miller - 7 pts
#4 - Audrey Bonsignore - 5 pts
D finished in seed order as well, though Steve broke with the tradition set
by A and C to sink a 4-pointer on a punishing game of Led Zeppelin. Fred
had some good wins including the opener on Monster Bash and was just one
point behind Steve going into the final game, but a brutal third place
finish kept him just outside the winners circle. Courtney got some wins in
and had a chance to win the HTH against Steve, but got a heartbreaking DQ
for playing out of order on Argosy. And late-entry Audrey just could not
light her pressure treated wood on fire, taking losses across the board
except for a strong second place finish on LZ.

And then it was time for the Tournament of Champions! The winners of B, C,
and D plus the first loser of A played an epic game of 300 for a stunning
framed Cleopatra backglass (donated by Dave, who recused himself). It was a
classic game of 300, with balls caught on the right flipper dribbling into
the outlane; clean, direct shots at the collect bonus saucer slopping
around the horseshoe; and so very many slow graceful arcs down the center
drain. Everyone put up solid scores, but the results were:
#1 - Zach Jones
#2 - Benjamin McMurtry
#3 - Eric Steinberg
#4 - Steve Estes

And that wraps it up for our final season at MOM's! Hopefully we'll be back
soon someplace and in some form, but until then let me just say to fellow
league officers Stephanie and John Locke that it has been an honor serving
with you lo these many years.