[FSPA] Alternate Route to Pittsburgh

Dave Hubbard dave.hubbard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:25:46 EDT 2017

I'll share my preferred route as well, which might be slightly preferable
to those attending the pre-Pinburgh tournament at the PPL clubhouse and/or
people heading there first for early check-in:
https://goo.gl/maps/M61Ds65zPNR2

Basically, Take I-70 to I-68 west over the mountains, then head up US-40.
>From there, US-119 north for a small stretch and then PA-51 north all the
way to Pittsburgh.  This has you approaching Pittsburgh from the south,
which is perfect to hop to the PPL clubhouse.

I like this route because I enjoy the drive over the mountains.  Plus, you
get to pass perhaps Pennsylvania's only marked Dangerous Mountain :)

           --- Dave

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Bob K Mertz via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
wrote:

> Being from Pittsburgh I still travel to visit family once a month or so
> and my frustration with the PA turnpike had me looking for better routes.
> If anyone else is looking for avoid the turnpike and take a less
> frustrating route here's the one I use when I head up there... I've shared
> this with a few others that agree it's a better option.
>
> Take I70 to Breezewood, PA as you normally would.... when you come into
> Breezewood turn left towards Everett and take US30 through Bedford....
> After Bedford you'll take I-99 North and follow that toward Altoona....
> before reaching Altoona you'll take US22 West towards Ebensburg.... US22
> will take you clear to Monroeville where you'll get on the Parkway to head
> into Pittsburgh.
>
> Here's a Google link that should show the route:
> https://goo.gl/maps/64pEjywLwzT2
>
> My estimate is that this route is probably 15 mins longer in most cases
> but regardless there are no tolls and I think it's a much easier drive.

"Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about."