[FSPA] Testing the waters for possible PINCADE in Herndon

Roland Joyal joyalrj at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 16:39:47 EDT 2017

 Hey, I am writing everyone that volunteered to help out with the Pincade or who might be able to get involved.  I am in serious negotiations with another place that is not in retail space but in a "lonely" industrial/business space in STERLING, just a couple miles or so on the other side of Rt 28 that Mighty Mikes is/was on.  It has room for about 10 or 11 games, give or take.  Line up initially will be Avatar, NBA, BOP, Jungle Lord, Captain Fantastic, Indy 500, Corvette, Stern Star Wars, and maybe GB (my Mighty Mikes GB is sold to someone that wanted an open box little used one so he could see the game before he buys), but he has agreed to let me operate it until January).  But I can always replace GB with another one or something else.

The problem is there will be NO walk-in foot traffic since it is in an industrial park, so I will depend on league play and tournaments to pay the rent, utilities, taxes, insurance, etc.  The other main problem is I cannot simply unlock and leave the Pincade open for a few hours like I was going to do with the other place that I told the landlord/owner I would take (and then he changed his mind) because it was right next to a place that was open 24/7 and no one would steal anything. This other place is in a business park where the other businesses close at like 5, M-F, then it becomes an easy target if it was left open since no one is around this entire business park at night or weekends.  The good part is it does have nice big windows on the end and PLENTY of FREE parking after 5 or 6PM weekdays and on weekends for big tournaments and league nights.  Even though it will not be an official arcade (there just is no zoning for that around the Sterling/Herndon area, and certainly not that is affordable), but I am allowed to have players "test" the equipment, hence leagues, tourneys and general players, especially since the other businesses are not open when this place would be, so they have no reason to care or if i am using all the parking.

I cannot work to much at the Pincade, (ok, play at my Pincade) most weekends, especially in the Spring/Summer, as when I am there during the day during the week I am likely spending time doing work on the games or showing a customer a game.  Furthermore, I am volunteering to take in a foster care teenager that I have to be home for after school and in the evenings, so sadly my time will be limited in my own Pincade :/   So I am getting back to everyone to see exactly what nights or days they will be able to open and close the place.  Due to the limitations of the financial viability of pinball, and the limitations in zoning, it is going to have to become more and more similar to what Joe had envisioned as sort of a pinball "club house", although there is no hot food/beverage (save for maybe 2 vending machines for drinks and snacks, or perhaps an honor system for snacks/drinks/water) and the space is an open space with carpet and acoustic ceiling tiles, so it is great for a modern machines as far as sound is concerned, unlike typical Pincades where the sound echos due to hard floors and ceilings.  There will be a large coin changer that was at Mighty Mikes, as I purchased it from Mike when he closed.

My initial thought is that the Mighty Mike league managers (presently Joe and Edan) could have a key and open it for Monday nights, which would mean one of them (or whoever is in charge at the time) will need to open early (6pm?) for practice and close after everyone is done.  Or should keys be trusted to a couple extra league players as well that can come early and or stay late?  I would let the league managers manage that schedule.

As far as other nights/days, since we have limited staff, I propose being open just a few nights a week and weekends, but that will depend on volunteer's schedule and that is why I need some input from volunteers.  Maybe M, W, F nights, 6PM - 10PM (or whenever league gets done on Monday)?   And Saturday Noon till 11PM?   Sunday noon till 6PM?   I am just looking for ideas/straw man scenarios on the schedule from you, and YOUR availability on any one or more of those proposed schedule days/nights.  I think Monday will likely be covered by league managers/people, so more interested in the other days/nights, or any other days/nights you can make it.   And need to know if you are able to run periodic tournaments?  As an operator and casual-only player, I know little about how they are run, etc, and would need someone that can run them and do the announcements & marketing.  And if you can't volunteer for anything, that is perfectly OK, just let me know either way.

Thanks -Roland