[FSPA] CarPool playoff info for 8/14/18

Joe Schober afljoeys at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 17:31:19 EDT 2018

First of all... thank you very much for sending feedback about what you like and don't like.  The goal of the FSPA and its officers is to create a competitive and fun environment for all players... if y'all aren't having a good time, then we're not doing our job properly.  So it helps a ton to get feedback from players about what's working and what's not.  So really, I appreciate that, and invite everyone to provide feedback about our leagues any time for any topic... you can post something here on the list, contact me, contact your league officers, whatever works for you, but don't hesitate to do it.  I can't promise that every suggestion will be accepted and implemented, but I can promise that every suggestion will be considered by league officials -- we talk regularly on a mailing list, and usually meet in person between seasons with a lengthy agenda of stuff to review.  (We do not change league rules during the season, so whatever is in force at the start of the season remains for that season.)

BTW, the original intent of two-round playoffs was actually to have them take place over two weeks; i.e. semifinals on one week, finals on the following week.  At some point we drifted away from that to instead slam both rounds in one night, because players reported not liking the extra week.  At least it tends to be a little less lengthy than it seems, since most of the games are 2-player, not 3 or 4 player, so they move along quicker.  Definitely will be interested to hear how tonight goes at Carpool.

Anyway, we've made changes in the past to push off two-round playoffs, and I suspect we'll do that again.  I could easily see 35-45 player leagues moving to 5 divisions, with 3-4 qualifiers per division.  Probably need more discussion about what happens after that... obviously we can add divisions indefinitely, but at some point it gets a little weird.  ("I won H Division!")  I've already been working with several other leagues that use FSPA rules as a baseline, but have 60, 70, 80 players, and unsurprisingly, our existing grouping and division rules don't work great at that scale.  So we've been tinkering with different variations.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone at tonight's playoffs!

--Joe