[FSPA] VUK Fall 2018 Finals: The Results Show

Max Baskin chaosrunner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:40:06 EST 2018

First of all, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who was a part of
the 2018 Fall season at VUK. I've done a lot of tournament work, but this
was the first time in a while that I've had weekly responsibilities to keep
up with and you all made it a lot easier. I'd especially like to thank
SLO-emeritus Rob Wintler-Cox for helping make for a smooth transition, Alex
Jeffrey for having a loud enough voice to be heard over the noise of a busy
pizzaria, and John Locke for his inestimable and encyclopedic knowledge of
the rules.

Second, the results!

Everyone showed up, so things definitely got off on the right foot. Scott
Nash, however, did show up after game selection had started, so was bumped
down to 4th seed in A Division. Alex Jeffrey broke out to an early lead,
winning the first 4 player game (and stealing a point) and his first two
round robin games (stealing a point on one of those, as well). But a goose
egg in the final round robin game and a loss in the final 4 player game
left him vulnerable to a come from behind win (in part through a thorough
thrashing of the MUCH elder Rob Wintler-Cox) by the VUK Fall 2018 A
Division champion, Douglas M. Malcolm!

B Divison was a tight race through the second set of round robin games, but
Kevin Walton and Tim Peterson turned up the heat in the final set of games
and at the final match up, despite a noble effort on the parts of Peter
Schiff and Audrey Bonsignore, Tim was able to hold on to his lead and
become the VUK Fall 2018 B Division champion!

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to seeing you all in January for
the first season of the new year!