[FSPA] Ghostbuster Proposal--CarPool

Dave Hubbard dave.hubbard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:29:28 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Paul McGlone via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
wrote:

> Now, if you want a good example, how about the Cryo Claw on Demo Man?

Disabling the claw on Demo Man is something that necessarily affects all
players, and there is no way you can get around it.  I would be curious to
know what the ruling would be if someone "forgot," selected video mode, and
landed in the saucer.  Instant DQ?  Invalidate the game and replay?
Logistically you could certainly announce and adopt a special ruling for it
if you wanted to.

Having played a fair amount of GB in a competition setting, I feel the
video mode strategy is only really a problem if the plunge is set up in
such a way that it bounces into the saucer without player intervention.  If
you have to execute some skill to pull it off, such as live catching and
actually making the shot, that seems fine to me given the risk of missing
and jailing yourself with no mode.  Ask Kevin Stone how that worked out at
Pickled Egg.  So if the plunge is giving more or less free video modes,
then change the plunge - unbalance the game subtly so that bounce doesn't
work, increase the pitch a little bit, tweak the ball guides on the orbits
to make the ball hit the flippers differently, something like that.

Personally I never go for video mode on GB because I just don't like that
strategy.  If I actually execute shots in the modes, a couple hundred
million is pretty easy.  It's not as unbalancing as it seems.

     --- Dave

--
"Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about."