[FSPA] Buying tickets for Pinburgh - Urgent

Dave Hubbard dave.hubbard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 11:36:25 EST 2019

Updating with a couple of opinions based on overnight activity:

1) I don't think guaranteed spots needs to happen for Pinburgh.  Or rather,
why does Pinburgh need to be an invitational tournament?  There are already
others that fill that space.  Assuming it did, top-100 is far too many.  We
all know that ranking loses its punch very quickly and becomes more a
function of participation than skill.  Top-50 would be more reasonable if
the goal is to ensure the best players are there.  High ranking does not
equate to best players after a certain point and that concept degrades
quickly.

2) I'm fine with multi-ticket purchases IF people can prove a familial
tie.  Parent/child teams wanting to compete?  Totally fine.  Five random
strangers creatively gaming the system?  Not fine.

3) Ebay for VIP tickets is an interesting idea.  Hell, why not just do it
for the full 1000?  Take bids from everyone, top 1000 offers get in.  Let's
see just how much demand there really is.  This probably won't happen
though because people will cry about being "priced out" as if dropping
$1000+ for hotel/travel/food for anyone non-local isn't already a huge
investment.

4) I don't think "player newness" is a consideration for Pinburgh at all.
This is a premier, destination tournament.  Anyone considering travel to
Pittsburgh or paying $130 to compete is already leaps and bounds ahead of a
new player used to $5 local weeklies or a $20 weekend tournament.

           --- Dave

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM Kevin Stone via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
wrote:

> Regarding VIP passes – EBAY!!!  They are a sponsor after all, right?  That
> would be the ideal way to sell VIP spots and raise a ton more money.  You
> might also consider putting up another batch of 50-100 regular tickets on
> EBAY after VIP are sold.  This would directly tie in ticket sales to
> primary sponsor, win-win-win for those willing to pay more to guarantee a
> spot.
>

> Identify more tournaments that can be provided an option to buy a ticket,
> e.g. circuit event winners, SCS state champions, and other large scale
> tournaments.  This would provide a method for the ‘top rated’ players to
> get a ‘satellite’ spot instead of just making them a direct priority as
> someone else mentioned, yet at the same time provide other players the
> opportunity to snag one of those, e.g. as a State Champion.  Even if IFPA
> or the state prize pool has to pay for the entry, it is worth gold to the
> player that wins it.  That just makes SCS state’s and circuit event
> tournaments worth a lot more to the player, and for once it has nothing to
> do with money or WPPRs, but ability to snag the most coveted ticket in
> pinball.  Maybe consider some other unique tournaments around the country
> as well, like the Pinholics Anonymous Pintervention Circuit Championship
> (got to plug it, lol).
>

> Even though I benefited from the 5 player group blocks and got a ticket
> this time, 2 ticket max is probably more reasonable and eliminates the huge
> amount of 5 player groups that were slamming the system.
>

> Also, when all is done, take a look at the metrics regarding how ShowClix
> handled 5 versus 1 ticket reservations.  Totally just an observation but it
> seemed to me that ShowClix might have somehow within those 5 seconds put
> priority on 5 tickets carts than 1 ticket attempts since so many 5 block
> attempts worked and so many 1 ticket people didn’t get past that screen.
> This is just based on what I’ve heard from those grumbling and groups that
> had multiple people get into the cart with 5 tickets.  Would be interesting
> to see if there was some algorithm at work that benefited groups versus
> solo purchasers.  And I’d say this isn’t a theory just a thought.

"Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about."