[FSPA] Pinball Move

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 21:49:33 EDT 2019

 Ken, as someone who has done moves of these sizes... this may be a lot taller order than you may realize.  One, a move of this scale requires a real boxtruck or bigger...  two, if you need to breakdown the machines and pack them.. that is a good 2-3hrs right there alone... three.. everyone's appetite to move games drops off a cliff after moving 3+ games.. and lastly, what about liability?  Are you willing to go with someone with no insurance, or just asking the business pros on the list?  Because honestly you'd probably have to be talking serious money to motivate anyone for this kind of move.
While people are scared of movers, if you leave them to do what they do best and supplement that with proper oversight, they are not a bad way to move games.
If you do the packing, protect the games, watch them as they move them, and plan ahead how they will be secured...  they will be fine.  A thing to watch up front is typically your moving truck doesn't operate with lift gates, or even ramps frequently.. and 10 games is a ton of space in a moving truck.  That would be something to discuss when quoting the move and making sure they realize these are basically refrigerators that need securing for the move.. not tetris blocks to stuff in the truck like they do for most pieces.  Movers will attempt to move anything by hand.. and treat it like a duffle bag unless explicitly told otherwise.
The hybrid may just be to do the packing yourself, rent the truck, and hire labors to do the hauling portions under your supervision with you supplying the tools.
I've done up to 16 in single load in one day that included a mix of loading from steps, level, etc..  and not singling you out in anyway..  but no way would I get into that kind of scale of a move without making it a business decision with good $$ driving it.  We made it more managable in follow-on years by moving all the games to cart loadable space (like the garage) BEFORE the actual moving day.. to split up the work.  Securing the load in the truck takes way more time than anyone anticipates.
I've done the moves for FPO multiple times.. Magfest multiple times..  and unless you are moving the games without breaking them down and where you can use a cart the whole way..   the level of suck multiplies significantly for each game over 3.
When I moved homes.. I packed the games and had the movers move them.  Similar for other friends who have moved recently... because frankly in the big storm that is a move.. the last thing you want to manage in that tornado of activity is adding more loads you are doing by yourself... in the tight timeframe that normally happens with these moves.  I packed my games up weeks before like cocoons and just left them to be moved like packed boxes when the time was ready.
Just some insight from past experiences...  Good luck with your move!-Steve