[FSPA] Shameless Plug - Going to MAGfest? If so, come see my panel on Photon, the original laser tag

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Fri Dec 10 16:43:08 EST 2021

> Hey FSPA...feel free to ignore this, but if you are going to MAGfest,
> consider stopping by Panel Room 4 at 1:30pm on Friday for my prese$

Woah, I remember playing Photon in Virginia Beach. I might even have the
floor map somewhere. It was pretty cool for the time. But the equipment
was bulky, especially as a little kid. It used an IEC connector to go from
the battery to the unit and it would often come unseated and reboot the
unit. That was no fun.

I think the modern systems are pretty cool.

There was a guy in our geek circle who lives in Richmond who was super big
into all that stuff. When he was in Virginia Beach area I think he was
some kind of national laser tag champion or something. I know he said
people in the community had gotten hands on some of the hardware and were
working to reverse engineer some of the control systems, but even the
legacy stuff was hard to get hold of. Usually it was smashed. Can't
remember if the system was Windows based or OS/2. Obviously these days the
systems should be very high tech given the low cost of components and
wireless data comms.

Cool stuff.

--
: Ethan O'Toole