[FSPA] FSPA: Ocelot Results for 06/22/2021 (Meet #2)

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 18:39:12 EDT 2021

 Avg ladder is only used for division separation.  If you did it based only on ranking, you are focusing on a narrower slice in time to make your decision based on division boundaries.
Avg Ladder means you make decisions based on 5 weeks of play...  ranking would mean just one week of play becomes far more critical.  You could be in the top all season, and lose one week and be out.
It's just a way to make a wider assessment of what division a player should be in... vs a moment in time.
Because it's not a play-in, ultimately initial seeding does play into division qualifications.  Even tho avg ladder tries to minimize it... when you have a big league if you start low, it sometimes can't be avoided as a factor.  This is why initial seedings are significant.
    On Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 06:26:18 PM EDT, Matt Wycoff <mwycoff at gmail.com> wrote:

 Let’s remove the average ladder position part of the calculation if it doesn’t matter.
Just make it based on rankings.
On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM steve via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:

 > it's just the magical wonder of Effective Points without preplays for it to hide behind.
No, it's actually more about the wonders of what happens when you have multiple things going on concurrently...    You have a player drop, you have the number of 4 player groups changing, AND the fun of the 3 player group vs 4 player group boundary, and effective points.
This is more about the way the groups look AFTER ladder movement and a change in group makeup.
People get predisposed to believe the simplifications we memorize are the real rules.. they aren't :)  Players don't actually move between groups each week...  they move up and down the ladder.  Groups are formed last... after everything else.
So when people just focus on groups, they often get really confused when the group scheme changes.
Ideas like 'freeze the player so they don't change groups' are not practical methods because they assume groups are fixed - they are not.  The player's ladder movement is done after each match...   Groups are drawn up based on the ladder - not necessarily last week's groups were.
There is alot of churn going into week 3 because the Groupings changed when we dropped one player.  3 4player groups instead of 4 of them.
-Steve
    On Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 11:15:44 AM EDT, Rob Wintler-Cox via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:

 On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:51 AM Paul Liam McGlone via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:

The summer scoring system certainly has some anomalies.

I don't think this is anything new, it's just the magical wonder of Effective Points without preplays for it to hide behind.