[FSPA] Preplays are better

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 23:01:48 EDT 2021

 Option 1: Prioritize 4 player grouping to minimize risk of 1 player groups.  Consequence, everyone plays in 4 player groups, in preparing to avoid the potential of someone not being there.
(this was actually my pre-season recommendation - but the hate for 4 player groups was too strong)
Option 2: Stick to the 'default' grouping which prefers 3 player groups, and face risks of 2 and 1 player groups more frequently.  Rules account for all the scenarios, so you can just 'play on' w/o extra intervention.  Consequence... you have 2 and 1 player scoring more frequently.
As Matt mentioned, we have discussed and are sticking with #2 with the modification we will have the single player play with the group below them if there is space (or above) so they can play in a group - but we will still score them as their independent groups.
The other options are far more disruptive change and not for something mid-season.  You either change the ladder and movement system, and in turn, the handicapping model used for the whole league, or you use ghost scores of some format.
Personally I think 4 player groups are far less disruptive and provide 'cheap' defense to the problem.. but it seems everyone hates every scoring format but 3 player groups :D
-Steve