[FSPA] Preplays are better

Daniel Cotter gotta_fixit at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 23:45:57 EDT 2021

Daniel Cotter here, miss you guys. I have been running a couple seasons of a social distance league at the Richmond Pinball Collective that was basically a preplay league. You had the set week to come in while the collective was open and play a set bank of games (solo if you wanted to avoid human contract) and submit your scores, but no actual preplays, if you missed a week you forfeited. My intent was not to remove anyone based on forfeits and everyone would make the finals, so forfeits equaled less points and lower seeding for finals. The aim was just fun and to have some reason to play each week during the pandemic. The first season I did 3 player(or default) groups and didn't like that those forfeits caused to many two player match ups as I felt it skewed the points a bit if it happened to frequently. The second season I went for 4 player groups and this greatly cut down on 2 player match ups and I feel was a good offset for not dealing with preplays. I know this summer season was a kind of fun test the waters so I wanted to share my experience with something similar.

Daniel