[FSPA] FSPA: MOM's Organic Pinball Results for 09/29/2021 (Meet #2)

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 18:11:02 EDT 2021

 >You likely won't know who picked what, but you will know what games were picked and therefore which games are > going to show up in other people's groups
I don't think any of the leagues have been using this method for some time.  That was the old paper distribution model where the available games for the night were taken from the game picks, and then distributed in a following pattern intended to have higher groups follow lower groups.
But since the migration to the tatersoft software, there is a 'shuffle' feature that doesn't use the same game assignment logic.  It simply picks a game you haven't played, that also hasn't been assigned yet for that round.  Does that for each group, then repeats for each round.  So it selects from the pool of location games and decides based on avoiding conflicts, not based on which games were picked for round 1.
-Steve
    On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 06:04:29 PM EDT, Dave Hubbard via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:

 They are definitely overrated.  It's one game out of 40 that you play in a season.  It's insignificant unless your league officer(s) use a progression for determining the other games in your group that involve everyone else's game picks, in which case people with later game picks can, theoretically, pick games in other groups as well.

Something like this.  Imagine you have 12 machines for league, noted A through L for simplicity.

Group 1 picks machine AGroup 2 picks machine B...Group 8 is last to pick, and 7 machines have already been chosen.  This group's pick will be game H, leaving I/J/K/L to be assigned randomly to the progression.
Every group in groups 1-7 that includes slot H is effectively chosen by group 8's game picker, and you can trace this back up the groups as well (for example, there's probably a few groups that include G, chosen by group 7).
So basically, game picks are not just your pick unless your SLO is filling out the other 3 games randomly.  You likely won't know who picked what, but you will know what games were picked and therefore which games are going to show up in other people's groups.  If you know the progression (and your SLO uses the same one every week) then with a little effort you can know which other groups are going to get the game you pick for your group, and that might be advantageous.

        --- Dave

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 3:13 PM Kevin Stone via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:

I think game picks are overrated.  Every time I’ve picked a game, I end up playing horrible on it.