[FSPA] keeping/playing machine in garage

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Tue Oct 17 13:54:14 EDT 2023

> hey all,
> is it ok for a sys 11 game to keep and play it in an attached garage for a
> maryland winter?
> the garage is *not* climate controlled - it stays somewhat more temperate
> than outside but definitely will be colder than the house.
> anything i should be aware of/consider?
> thanks
> -Steve

One of my arcade cabinets (Dance Dance Revolution SN2) came from an
operator that kept all of his games in a non-climate controlled commercial
building in Hampton VA. It did cause rust on some of the metal, but only
specific parts and nothing internal to the machine.

A lot of machines have been stored in worse environments for years and
seem to have come out okay. I know operators that store old unused games
in non-climate controlled spaces.

I would think rapid shifts in temperature/mositure would be bad. And
moisture freezing then thawing.

I bought a game from someone locally who had the opposite problem where
the backboxes were close to ceiling mounted air vents in the basement
(natty gas furnace) and the warm air dried out the backbox wood.

Good luck!

 		- Ethan