[FSPA] READ ME! Preplays vs. Drop 2 Survey!

Jon Stephanou stephanou81 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:34:56 EDT 2021

This is why I don't like the two drop-two method, unless I misunderstood
the rule. It can unfairly give a lesser player the advantage, once the two
lowest scores are dropped. Below is an example of what I mean, the
highlighted scores are the two lowest for each player.
 Player-1 is the better player with more points and a higher average before
the drop, but afterwards they're the worse.

*Points by Meet*
*Player* *Meet -1* *Meet -2* *Meet -3* *Meet -4* *Meet -5* *Meet -6* *Meet
-7* *Meet -8* *Meet -9* *Meet -10* *Total Points* *Average* *2 Lowest
Scores* *Adjusted*
One 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 *80* 8 8 8 *64*
Two 9 7 8 4 10 8 6 12 0 8 *72* 7.2 4 0 *68*
Three 10 6 2 15 8 7 8 10 4 8 *78* 7.8 2 4 *72*

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 3:14 PM Joe P. Said via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
wrote:

> Wei-Hwa, thats the ideal way to do it.
>
> Also, people join league to play not to skip. The incentive is friends and
> social and competition, not to avoid being penalized. Drop-2 lowers stress
> which makes it more enjoyable but doesn’t remove any competition elements.
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:31 PM Wei-Hwa Huang via FSPA <fspa at fspazone.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 2:47 PM frederick butts via FSPA <
>> fspa at fspazone.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I understand why FSPA uses groups, however I have played in leagues
>>> where the match ups were random. As in they were not set until everyone was
>>> there and we knew who was playing.
>>> If making sure you keep the better players together for competition then
>>> keep groups but still make them random.
>>>
>>> Over here in the Bay Area Pinball Association we don't create the groups
>> until we know who has shown up, but they aren't random -- basically we sort
>> everyone by how well they did last week and make groups based on that
>> ordering.
>>
>> --
>> Wei-Hwa Huang, onigame at gmail.com

Thanks,