[FSPA] READ ME! Preplays vs. Drop 2 Survey!

steve flynnibus at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 19:53:18 EDT 2021

 Jon, that's an interesting example... but I don't agree with the conclusion.  It boils down to 6 weeks count...  in your example player 3 did remarkably better in his scoring 6 weeks then the other player.  Player 1 was steady, but not significant.  Also your example is rather contrived as it doesn't align with how our scoring works...  your points per week available is varying greatly (from 12-30 points).
Yes there is an element of 'mulligans' when you drop lowest scores - but our motivation here is to be flexible to life - not that the model is trying to be the most accurate competitive wise.  The idea it is a compromise is inherent to the very nature of the idea.
People either1- play2- get a zero3- get an artificial score of some sort4- have their week not count
#3 is hard to do fairly and people would just argue the same kinds of artificial gain or loss no matter what you do.  (see all the anger over effective points - and that's just movement!)#2 is debilitating to a season and reason enough for people not to play if they can't ensure total participation.  That is a hardline we are trying to balance around without sticking to#1 can be preplays, but it has limits.. and in practice people are eager to find alternatives
#4 is a model that isn't perfect, but tries to strike a balance.  Both participants and those that don't gain some advantage.  You drop your lowest performances... that can be a 'mulligan' or it can be an absence.  That's up to the player.
-Steve